FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Ottawa, ON – On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, Conservative Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs Michael Chong held a phone call with H.E. Anahit Harutyunyan, Ambassador of Armenia to Canada, about Canada-Armenia relations.
MP Chong highlighted several items with the Ambassador, including:
- Conservatives deep concern about ongoing reports of military clashes in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone.
- That there can be no military solution to this conflict. The best path forward is to avoid further escalation. MP Chong urged restraint on all sides and adherence to the historical ceasefire, as well as the protection of civilians – including for all parties of the conflict to stop the shelling of civilian areas and critical infrastructure.
- That Conservatives recognize the right of self-determination for the people of the region.
- That OSCE negotiations should resume quickly within the framework of the Minsk Group process and independent monitors be re-instated at the line of control.
- That Conservatives are concerned about the reports of Canadian military exports being diverted to the conflict.
- That Conservatives will continue to monitor the situation in the Nagorno-Karabakh region closely.
H.E. Harutyunyan congratulated MP Chong on his appointment. H.E. raised Armenia’s perspective on the ongoing conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh.